Tuesday, December 30, 2008

JGV - Last but not Least

To end my JGV Journey, I've selected the Matsugen for my New Year celebration with my group of great friends. Catching up with the latest news with friends and sipping down specialty cocktail after another, finally comes the food.
The Omakase, 7 courses tasting menu, and a few extra appetizers would be a great way to end the year 2008. Started the evening with some Grilled Edamame and Homemade soft tofu. The tofu was so soft and silky that it dissolves in your mouth to soya milk instantaneously. If you are adventurous, try the Bakudan. It's a mix of sea urchin, salmon roe, scallops, scallion, poached egg, natto-"fermented soybean", and nori-"seaweed". Its medley fishy flavors were not my favorite. Then comes the nice juicy chicken meatballs served with hot mustard, good way to cleanse my fishy palette. Followed by the sushi plate: toro, salmom, kanpachi, and fluke. The fishes were all fresh as expected from a high-end Japanese restaurant. Then comes my favorite black cod with miso, it was perfectly grilled with the crispy skin and moist flaky fish. Finally, Matsugen's well known soba. It was good, but the flavor was not that impressive and the dipping sauce arrived after I was done with my noodle. . hmmmm. For the sweet finale, I've ordered the Matsugen parfait and the vanilla caramel pudding. : fresh season fruits, green tea and vanilla ice cream, red bean, white mochi, and warabi mochi. It's said to say that the desserts were the highlight of the night, I enjoyed the desserts more then the Omakase.
I was disappointed after my visit to Matsugen because, personally, i would expect alot more from an overpriced 'top notch' restaurant.

Tribeca: 241 Curch Street, NY (x Leonard St)

No comments: