Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Pizza - Tarte

My colleague told me about Grandaisy Bakery's pizza that I must try. It's very similar to the real Italian thin-crust pizza and it's even good when it's cold. Cold pizza? Really? Before heading there I did a quick research on the bakery. It's the remaining half of the popular Sullivan Street Bakery after the divorce. I could smell the fresh baked bread from 3 doors down. There are different variety of vegetarian pizza and assorted pastry goods. The pizza looks too good to have only 1 slice. Fungi pizza and Cauliflower w/ Gruyere Pizza were my pick of the day. Surprisingly, the strong gruyere cheese didn't over power the freshness of cauliflower. The fungi - mushroom pizza was served in room temperature and it still tastes great. You can taste the sea salt hidden under the mushrooms. The pie crust were perfectly baked with a touch of crunch. After 2 slices of pizza, I had to pass on the pastry but i know i'll be back. Tick tick tick....2 hours after, my sweet teeth is craving for pastry but I was still full from the pizza. I headed to Balthazar anyway for a coffee break. Brioche, cheese cake, chocolate croissant, passion fruit tarte,..... How can i say 'no' to the refreshing Passion Fruit Tart. The sweetness and tartless was well balanced and the graham tarte crust bottoms it off.
Grandaisy Bakery: 73 Sullivan St, New York
Balthazar: 80 Spring St., New York

No comments: